Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Holy Thoughts

I was on a committee in my church that didn't do much. That's probably the reason I didn't mind being on that particular committee. Until the last 3 months, out of a 3 year turn, I don't remember doing much of significance. What happened in the last 3 months was a woman in our church decided to go to seminary and become a minister. I didn't know this, but there is a lot involved in becoming a minister. Going to seminary and graduating does not a minister make. This woman had to meet with our committee, then the congregation, then about six other committees. It's quite a todo.
Anyway, during the meeting with our committee, the woman in question had to answer a bunch of questions. They were mainly concerned with how she felt she was being "called to God" and her beliefs, etc. I don't remember the questions except one. The question was, "Are you holy in your thoughts?" Holy crap, that's a tall order! Hence, the reason I remember it. Our minister explained that it was something that was always a work in progress since no person was holy in thought all the time. I still thought this was a HUGE expectation and it really made me stop and think.
I am very sarcastic, as I said and friends know. I have a hard time controlling thoughts that pop into my head concerning people I see. Especially when it's one of those hit yourself in the forehead moments or your eyebrows are climbing. After this question was posed, I realized that I was not even close to having holy thoughts. I may not always voice those thoughts, but God knows what you're thinking. It's not like you can hide that when you die and get face to face with the big man. What's your defense? I didn't say that, I only thought it. No one knew. Oh ya, except you God. Sorry 'bout that. I'll work on it in my next life. I just don't see him saying, no problem.
This question has really been bothering me. I finally decided to ask God himself for help. I have incorporated this into my prayers. "Please God, help me be holy in my thoughts." The next night, I ask forgiveness for all the bad thoughts I had, and ask for more help. I'm not sure it's working.
I was talking to a good friend of mine who enjoys my sarcastic humor. She told me she was praying last night to not be the kind of person who tips over people in wheelchairs. I didn't ask the story behind that, but it sounded similar to my predicament. At least I now know I am not alone with these thoughts(and sometimes comments). I've never had to ask for the strength to keep from tipping over a wheelchair, but who knows what life will throw at me? I've met some very trying people. Anyway, my friend told me to call her when I had those thoughts. Apparently my snarky comments make her day.

No comments: